Problem – One of the largest growing custom cabinet manufacturer in the Dallas/Fort Worth metropolis lacked a centralized focus and was running into several serious operational issues. Each of their facilities was operating as a separate unit without the ability to interface with other sites. The company was also missing streamlined processes, and their facilities were in industrial areas that experienced regular network and power grid failures. Remote workers often struggled to connect to their home office to access data for daily tasks.
Solution – SG1 customized a Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS) solution that not only overcame the manufacturer’s existing challenges, but also enabled future growth. The resulting solution could also handle intense graphics loads without expensive GPUs alleviating the need to purchase powerful but expensive computers for their CAD designers.
In collaboration with a cloud provider – Green Cloud Technologies – SGI set up virtual servers and virtual desktops to create a centralized computing environment in which all client facilities and employees could access their daily workloads, regardless of location. The client is now positioned to continue growing and remain the leading custom cabinet manufacturer in the region.
Benefits – SGI’s DaaS solution provided several benefits to its client:
- The solution delivered a smooth transition for all users—aside from the designers’ adjustment to the new CAD software, each employee’s virtual desktop looked and felt like their old desktop.
- The new system provided more secure management and more efficient technical support.
- It alleviated the need to purchase powerful but expensive computers for the CAD designers.
- Customer employees were able to BYOD, and could work remotely from home or while traveling.
- Customer could easily hire seasonal work by quickly (and temporarily) deploying extra virtual desktops.